Thursday, February 11, 2010

A Note on the “Maiden’s Feast" In *Indian Boyhood*

I have found that Eastman’s writing has been predictable. However, his retelling about the “Maiden’s Feast,” came as a surprise. Eastman stories are often about something that had a direct effect on his life, as supported by his stories (about past events that he has been involved in) or had a purpose for his being. Yet, this story has no real purpose for his own childhood. The only reference to himself is when justifying that it was the last “maiden’s feast” he witnessed at Fort Ellis, Manitoba around 1817. Thus, I was compelled by its placement in his autobiography.

After reflecting on topics we have brought up in discussion I feel that Eastman’s purpose of this story was to reflect on similarities between “American cultural ideals,” and those of the Natives. One wouldn’t expect Natives to be concerned with “fashion,” but as in the culture that we all know today, many of us buy out of pleasure. Eastman expresses the Natives as those that were readily garbed in the “principle decorations.” There was also a sense that pride and wealth were important. From my experience, I always felt that Natives were all for equality, and didn’t adorn themselves to set them apart from one another. The giving to the needy was a surprise to me as well because I was unaware they had different social statuses besides that of the chiefs of the tribes and the rest. Therefore, I believe that Eastman uses this to demonstrate the social groups at hand.

This event as described by Eastman was one that “worthy maidens” gathered at, and that each young man had the right to challenge those they believed were not the virtuous maidens they were claiming to be. This event shows that there are in fact social groups, but also social standards. Eastman describes a maiden being called out from the rest by a young man for being for being unworthy, but she is allowed to rebut this claim. In this case, Eastman describes a successful end to this accusation in the young maiden’s favor. In my eyes, she put the young man back in his place, with her remarks, “but each time I have refused to listen to you. I have turned my back upon you.”

I feel that this statement gives the women some backbone that is much needed, as it is absent throughout the autobiography. Besides the grandmother figure I felt that this was the first time a woman had power over a man. To me it gave the women substance, because this young maiden was able to show that no man could tarnish her name. This may be a far stretch from Eastman’s purpose, but I feel that this can also relate to white women during this period, because they were slowly gaining power and a name for themselves. As I understood it, this section “The Maiden’s Feast,” was used to show the progression of the native women. As Eastman retells his life accounts, we see his progression, but we also see the slow emergence of women onto the scene.

2 comments:

  1. I thought the switching up of gender roles in the reading was interesting. I feel the story of Manitoshaw's Hunting was juxstaposed with the story of the Maiden's Feast, where the tribes are brought together to share a meal in which only the pure Indian girls are allowed to partake. In a way, I thought that story was making a parallel between the women and the food at the feast. No man wanted what can be crudely termed the "left overs" of another man. The women were subsequently required to participate in a showing of their purity. Public embarrassment was to befall any woman who was unpure and attempted to join the others at the feast, although puishment for a false accusation was great. I feel as though the gender roles in this section were reinforced, so I was pleasantly surprised to find the first example of a strong female character besides the
    grandmother in the story of Manitoshaw. However, I'm not sure exactly what Manitohaw's story is supposed to function as with respect to the deferent depiction of women perpetuted throughout most of the work. It seems to
    stand out quite a bit

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think this depiction of strong women is a little odd because Eastman was very much assimilated to Western culture. During his time, women had not yet gained the right to vote and was seen as a subordinate in society. Although this was the case, it did not rub off on Eastman. Through his glorification of his grandmother and establishment of women in roles that men usually take on-seen through Manitoshaw doing the hunting-he is going against this status quo of women unable to do what men can do, in Western society.

    ReplyDelete